I built a new compost bin to keep things a little neater around here and hopefully for more efficient composting than I have had with wire rings of fencing or loose piles. The cost, with mostly free and “kickin’ around” materials, was “dirt cheap” (see what I did there?).
Attached 3 pallets together with shelf brackets. However, it’s not going to look very nice in the backyard like it is. It looks like a pile of old pallets. Haha. ** there actually IS a pile of pallets too but I’ll tackle that next**
So I painted it. Barn Paint from WalMart. It comes in red or white. I didn’t realize how expensive paint has gotten, but this was relatively cheap.
|Lined it with wire fencing to help keep the pallets’ wide gaps from leaking.|
- I forgot all about checking for stamps on the pallets to make sure the wood is not chemically treated. Hopefully the coat of paint will prevent any chemical leaching if it exists. I am not too concerned though.
- I hope that painting it was a safe idea. I believe it’s an exterior latex. I’ll check later and update. I am still not overly concerned.
- I will have to strengthen the front corners, but for now the front door being wired to them will give them the strength it needs…I hope.
- There are many plans on the internet on the many ways to make compost bins out of pallets. Check Google and find the best ideas for you. My plan is based on a variety of different ones.
Hope you enjoyed!